We want to make sure that everyone can get involved at your ‘Make and Take’ Communi-Tea Party, so we’ve put together some simple recipes that you can make from leftovers, plus some games to help you have fun whilst helping the environment.
‘Lovely Leftovers’ Recipes
Easy Easter Toast*
- 4 tbsp soft butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 100ml milk
- 4 hot cross buns, cut in half
- (Optional) Ice cream and maple syrup, to serve
- Mix 3 tbsp of the butter with half of your cinnamon and mash them up together.
- Beat together your egg, milk and the remaining cinnamon.
- Slice your hot cross buns and put half of your cinnamon butter between the two slices. Repeat this with the remaining bun slices.
- Dip in the egg mix and leave to soak for a few secs.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan until it starts to foam.
- Cook the hot cross buns for 1-2 mins each side until light golden (you might need to separate your buns into two batches to do this). Press your buns down with a spatula as you cook.
- (Optional) Serve each portion topped with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.
*(From BBC Good Food Magazine, April 2011)
Leftover Sandwich Bake*
- 25g butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 thick slices stale white bread
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 50g ham, roughly chopped
- 500ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 50g cheddar, grated
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Mix the butter and garlic together, then use a little bit of this mixture to grease a shallow baking dish or tin.
- Use the rest to butter the bread slices, then cut them in half diagonally.
- Arrange the bread slices, overlapping, in the baking dish. Tuck the cherry tomatoes and ham in and around them.
- Whisk the milk and eggs together, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the bread and gently push the slices down in the liquid. Leave to stand for 5 mins.
- Scatter the cheese over the top, then bake for 35-40 mins until golden and just set.
- (Optional) Serve with green salad.
(Recipe from BBC Good Food Magazine, March 2010)
Easy-peasy veggie soup*
- 200g chopped raw vegetables, such as onions, celery and carrots
- 300g potato
- 1 tbsp oil
- 700ml stock
- crème fraîche and fresh herbs, to serve
- Fry 200g chopped raw vegetables with 300g potatoes, peeled and cubed, in 1 tbsp oil for a few mins until they begin to soften.
- Cover the fried veg with 700ml stock and simmer for 10-15 mins until the veg is tender.
- Using a blender, blend until smooth, then season with salt, pepper and herbs/spices of your choice.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche and some fresh herbs.
Top tip: You can freeze a portion of this soup for up to 1 month.
*(From BBC Good Food Magazine, November 2008)
- Add some fun into sorting out your recycling with our ‘Litter pick bingo’ game.
More ‘Green Games’ to follow soon…!