The COVID-19 guided self-help booklets (originally released in 2020) have been updated to reflect the current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation in Scotland.
It is now almost two years since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. COVID-19 and its accompanying restrictions have had a significant impact on the emotional wellbeing of many people with learning disabilities. We have now updated the guided self-help booklets again, to make sure they are relevant to this new stage of the pandemic, as restrictions begin to be lifted. This includes a new booklet to help people feel more in control of their anger.
The guided self-help booklets have been created for use by people with mild to moderate learning disabilities, with the support of family members, friends, volunteers and carers; they are also suitable for social work and health professionals. The booklets are intended to give people with learning disabilities an opportunity to talk through their feelings with people providing support to them. There is a guide accompanying each booklet, explaining how the content can be delivered.
The booklets were designed by researchers at The University of Glasgow, with assistance from colleagues at Lancaster University, the University of Oxford and the University of Warwick. Find out more about how the COVID-19 guided self-help booklets were created.
The Guided Self-help booklets can be freely downloaded.
Please note that printed copies are only available to those living in Scotland.
Access the Self-help Booklet Series online:
- Introduction to the Coronavirus Booklet
- A Guide to using an Introduction to Coronavirus Booklet
Coping with feeling down
- Feeling Down Booklet
- A Guide to using the Feeling Down Booklet
Getting a good night’s sleep
- A Good Night’s Sleep Booklet
- A Guide to using A Good Night’s Sleep Booklet
Being active and staying well
- ‘You can do it!’ – Being Active and Keeping Better Booklet
- A Guide to using the ‘You can do it!’ Booklet
- ‘Sort it out’ – A way to help you solve your problems Booklet
- A Guide to using the ‘Sort it out’ Booklet
Coping with anxiety
- Feeling Anxious about Coronavirus Booklet
- A Guide to using the Feeling Anxious Booklet
Dealing with anger
- Feeling Angry and Staying Calm Booklet
- A Guide to using the Feeling Angry and Staying Calm Booklet
Order print versions of the Self-help Booklet series:
SCLD has also collated and produced further information and resources for and to support people with learning disabilities throughout the Coronavirus outbreak. Access our information and resources on Coronavirus.
Let us know what you think
If you have any feedback about the booklets, you can let us know by email, at: